Monday, February 7, 2011

2 posts in one week!!

This past week was full of adventures. Monday presented itself with many threats of a storm coming to Chicago. And it did come! 20 inches or so fell within the 24 hours between Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning. There also was thunder and lightening in the midst of it all. It was absolutely incredible. I did not go out in it (much to my Grandmother's appreciation - although there were a few times I almost got the spirit to venture to the lake). One of my friends went out to the lake in the blizzard and at one point said the gusts of wind were so great he couldn't move forward. I went out after it settle around 11:00pm. Then on Wednesday Maggie and I ventured out and got some fun pictures.



Thursday was pretty calm. My morning class was cancelled and I geared up to head for Alaska! I left for Alaska on Friday. Left from Chicago around 3:45 pm. Arrived in Seattle 6:10 had a lay over till 9:30. Got into Alaska around 12:45am (which felt like 2:45 central time). Val picked me up! On our way home the Aurora was so incredible. Val said it was the most beautiful display of the lights she has ever seen. As one of my friends said, it is like the sky was dancing. It was an incredible shade of green and at one point we even saw some red and pink and then they would move - wow. how creative Lord!



Saturday we ventured out - found me camera, ID, credit cards, transportation cards which I had dropped in the snow in my excitement of the lights the night before. Praise the Lord we found them all just where I had gotten out of the car. My camera was even in good shape. We then went to the Chowder house for some chowder (salmon) and visited the pipe line. Saw the mountains. Got to hang out with some of Val's friends here.



The days are longer than I expected the sun coming up around 10:00 setting around 5:30 but the sun never gets very high but it is still fairly bright. It makes for beautiful color in the sunsets and sunrises.

Today's super bowl involved about 8 ladies, commenting on the football players hair. watching the "puppy bowl" on animal planet during the half time. 4 of the ladies got out their crochet projects. and not a lot of the game watching, but the food was excellent which is the importance of the superbowl :)

Looking forward to many more adventures here with Val and the Alaska :)

No comments: